mercredi, août 24, 2011

Ikesha's garden

Pakcik Hassan from Al-Manar wanted to find out about the lovely Aloe Vera. That reminded me that I haven't posted about my favourite pastime after reading and writing. Gardening gives so much pleasure and enhances our meals, always a special treat when we include some greens and appetisers, ulam like bunga kantan, pegaga and bunga lengkuas. And ulam raja. My grandmothers both left me with this legacy and I always think of them when I am here planting, weeding or watering. Ikesha and Inas are my green fingered daughters.



Ikesha loves flowers. Here is her arrangement of bunga kantan, misai kucing and what we call the red flower...

This is for Ikesha when she comes home from the kindergarten. A half bowl of cherries we picked from the hugh tree behind the house. We only pick from the bottom of the tree. I tell the girls the rest are for thhe birds...



Ikesha helped me plant this pomegranate tree. We have three more at the back of the house. This is the first fruit from Ikesha's tree.

This is our bunga kantan or a type of wild ginger flower. It is lovely when cooked with fish dishes, and exotic when eaten raw as an appetiser with rice. We slice it real fine (julienne). As we say, sedap!



Some fruits from our garden, ciku and nona. We also have kedundung, mangoes and longan. I only have space for small trees about 5' to 8' tall. Except for the cherry tree which is now 3 years old and 12' tall. We used to have passionfruit over our fence, I am trying to regrow them.


Here I introduce the red flower comes from...surrounded by bunga melur a type of jasmine which sends a beautiful fragrance throughout the open lawn. I use white flowered plants for this purpose, we have kasidang, jasmine and fragrant white orchids ...

This is Ilena stepping out. She looks tired, the girl is fasting. Photo taken by Ikesha. For a five year old (in about a month's time), she is quite a talented girl!


11 commentaires:

Al-Manar a dit…

I can read this post but not see the photos! I seem to be having some peculiar quirks with my computer. At lesst I think I can leave comments here but not on at least one of your other blogs.

Cat-from-Sydney a dit…

Aunty Ninot,
Am having same prob as Pakcik. No pix. purrrr *giggles*

Wan Sharif a dit…

No photo for me to see for now..
the other day our pokok kunyit (dalam pasu) berbunga.. we used it for our ulam.. ah so nice..

ninotaziz a dit…

Alamak! Could it be because I use the Ipad ? I will try to amend tomorrow! Oh, Ayoh Wang...I have never seen bunga kunyit!

ninotaziz a dit…

How tragic, I took this photos specially for Pakcik Hassan. Will check out what to do tomorrow.

ninotaziz a dit…

Hi everyone,

I have uploaded the photos again. Hope it works.

ninotaziz a dit…
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
remgold a dit…

Wah ini maam nak lawan pokok!
Cantiknya si kantan tu. As beautiful as the taste is nice. Nanti saya nak cari dan tanam!

ninotaziz a dit…

Dear Sir Remgold,
Sir Remgold's taman cantik mata memandang. And you Sir, simpan emas. I plant all things edible for the girls just in case the world goes crazy. Ubi kayu pun ada!

I am trying to save to buy gold too. Unfortunately, harga dah tinggi melambung.

Note: I give away pokok kantan for free. Tapi mesti tanam atas tanah untuk berbunga!

Lee a dit…

Hello Ninotaziz, was at Wan Sharif's place noticed your callsign and busybody over.
Love your stylish eloquence and the beautiful pics of your garden.
It is in our garden where we find our solitude and to rekindle our soul.
As well, one of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides.

I live in an apartment with 5 potted plants, just a couple of succulent cacti, money plant and Chinese bamboo and still spend many many minutes everyday, admiring, watering and caring for them.....and its funny, just like looking at fishes in an aquarium, our problems if any vanishes when with the plants.

You have a nice day and keep a song in your heart.
Best regards.
Lee.

ninotaziz a dit…

Dear Uncle Lee, how lovely to see you here. We are at the moment in the garden, main bunga api! I can't let the girls grow up without bunga api during Hari Raya.

I always had plants even in our tiny apt in Canada...yes they are a source of deep joy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails